Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ch.6 & 7

Running behind on my life story project with Mommy's Piggy Tales. Time to play catch up!

Chapter 6 - 4th grade

I was a "Squirrel Mama" in Mr. Grammer's class. He was the coolest teacher I ever had. He rescued animals and had snakes, mice, squirrels, turtles, and other kinds in the classroom. I saw the snakes shed their skin and swallow mice whole. On several occasions I held one and let them crawl through my shirt and out my sleeve. Sounds creepy but it wasn't at the time. Anyway, he nicknamed me and my friend Squirrel Mama because he rescued a couple of squirrels and we nursed them back to health. We gave them bottles and kept them warm. They were so cute!

I don't know how I've written all the way up to 10 years old and not mentioned my Grandma Altman. We saw her almost everyday and she loved us unconditionally. To know her was to love her. There were so many things about her that were special to me. She would tickle my arm during church. She gave me a kiss and hug every time I saw her. She would take me or another sibling to her house after church so we could have time alone with her. She loved me unconditionally. As a kid I thought being the middle child was a curse and I talked myself into believing that I didn't matter. She did her best to change that thought. She sneaked hugs in when she saw I was having a hard time. She loved all her grandkids but not just us. She loved her kids, nieces, nephews, in-laws, church family... She had a huge heart. She passed away in 2003 and I have missed her everyday since. I can't wait to see her again someday! her picture is on my refrigerator and I tell Maxy about her and how much she means to me.

Now that I'm emotional I may as well move on to 5th grade and Chapter 7.

On May 17, 1994 I was sitting in class when the principal came in and whispered something to my teacher. Mrs. Knaur then said, "Kari, please go down to the principal's office." At that moment I knew. My grandpa wasn't necessarily sick so his death was unexpected. Still today I'm not sure how I knew. But when I walked out of the classroom, before I made it to the principals office, my parents, Josh, and Melissa were in the hallway with tears in their eyes. I said, "It's Grandpa, isn't it? He's dead." My dad nodded and they all finished walking the distance between us. Grandpa was my first family member to pass away. It was very traumatic. He was very kind and really a big teddy bear. He liked working with wood in his garge. His famous saying was, "OK, K-O!" At his funeral people came out of the woodwork! I remember actually having fun at his showing because there were so many distant cousins there. Now he and my grandma are in Heaven praising our Father and enjoying each other, I'm sure.

On Christmas 1994 my grandma gave me a locket with her picture and Grandpa's picture in it. I cried and she cried when she gave it to me. She knew how special they were to me. I still have that locket and I like to look in it and remember that she gave it to me.

5 comments:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing...what a very special place your grandparents held in your life...I hope I have the same joy one day with my own grandchildren...it seems like more times than not we all live so far apart...a nice tribute to your grandparents

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I appreciate you sharing this - those memories, though long ago, are still so fresh. Your grandparents sound like they were very special people. I love the stories about animals in the classroom! How fun that must have been! Does anyone call you "Squirrel Mama" today?

Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life said...

I love hearing from people who had special relationships with their grandparents. I wasn't especially close to any of mine, so I'm so happy that my kids have a good relationship with their grandparents. And I look forward to being the kindof grandma I always wished I had.

Debi said...

What precious memories you have and I love how you tell them. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother - when we loose a loved one the, the timing is always too soon. You have such vivid memories, I'm sure you pass them on to your sweet little ones. I bet you carry her legacy into your grand parenting. Your blog is really cute - I enjoy reading and your pictures too.
Bless you~

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same experience when Grandpa died. I knew it. Without a doubt. 100% knew that he had died.
I have a distinct picture in my mind of Mom and Dad in the principles office with you Josh and Melissa. It looked like a tied up Octopus...just a conglomerate of limbs. I remember how the pile of people shook...
I also remember Laura walking slightly in front of me and to my left...odd huh?

~Ryan

Post a Comment