To sum it up: Deja vu.
Driving to the lesson Max said, "It's okay if I'm nervous, right Mommy?"
So we got to the swim lesson and as soon as they called his name the tears started flowing. He's scared of the deep water. I went and got him a life vest and sat by him so he felt safe, but he was not going to get in that water. I talked him into dangling his feet in the water, which was improvement over last year. His teacher thought I should put him in and let her take him out on the kickboard, like the rest of the class was doing. So I did that and he cried the whole time. I said, "See, Maxy, it's okay! You were safe and it's fun to be in the water!" He said, "No, it's not okay! My legs are shaking!" :(( I put him in a second time and it was the same reaction.
I made him sit down with his class by the water and I was talking to him about how he was safe in this environment and we prayed. I told him he wouldn't go under and that Mommy wouldn't let him do something that wasn't safe for him. As I'm explaining this, the kid next to him let go of the edge and went about 2 feet under! All my credibility was GONE at that point. I pulled the kid out of the water - getting myself soaked. The poor drowning child was very little and I'm pretty certain I will have nightmares tonight about his big eyes looking at me and arms reaching straight up. Freaking scary!!
We're going to go back to his next lesson and see if we can get him to stay in the water with his class. Next time though, Lukas is taking him. Maybe Max will feel braver with Daddy around.
In the meantime, I'm going to have a piece of Auntie Sharon's blueberry pie. I need comfort food. Don't judge me. ;)
1 comments:
Oh my goodness! Hopefully next time will be better!!
Post a Comment